Wednesday 8 January 2020

Mr Pickwick's January Sale (2020)

Wow, a week into the New Year has passed already. Pleased to report that in the first week of the year, I managed to complete a ParkRun, a commute and a 200k audax. Am hoping to complete a wild camp before the month is out.

The audax I completed was 'Mr Pickwick's January Sale', a 200k event organised by none other than Mark Rigby. Have completed this event a few times over now - in torrential rain, in freezing conditions. This time around the weather was kind but unlike over times, I cycled this event solo.

It was dark when we all set off (this was a calendar event, so many participated, just none of my mates) at the crazy hour of 7 a.m. Tewkesbury was quiet and it was nice seeing the streets lit up with cycle lights. First stage took us to Chaddesley Corbett cycling roads that I often cycle with my buddy Roger.

Next stage passed through Bromsgrove and cycled up and over Cobley Hill. So close to home, yet so far away. Lunch stop was at M40 services.
Awful selfie at a cake stop
Leaving services the lung busting Edge hill was climbed. Not a particularly menace hill to be fair at only 14%, but hard enough. Much of the Cotswolds was cycled before reaching Chipping Norton for a tea and cake stop.

More Cotswold ups and downs until the major down hill of Soudley into Winchcombe. Such a menace that my dynamo light stopped working - thankfully had a helmet light. A few miles took me to the arrivee following a gentle traverse across the Severn Vale.

All in all, a pretty perfect audax. Probably cycle this event again in 2021. At little over a £1, a great January Sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2022

Happy New Year folks. I wonder what's in store for 2022,  - something crazy, something new? It's a shame Covid is still here and I&#...