Sunday 12 May 2013

Please sponsor Doo's cycling MADness

A certain Sister Tracey Pearson asked me to write an article for the Studley Ecclesial Newsletter about 'Why I like cycling'. This would fill up a page in the newsletter and plug folk to sponsor me for my planned epic cycle ride in the summer, raising funds for the Christadelphian Meal-a-Day Fund (CMaD).  I was more than happy to oblige.

So, why do I enjoy cycling? I would love to say 'it's because I'm good at it', but sadly this is not the case. Perhaps folk will re-call my many cycling accidents and subsequent trips to hospital over the past so-many years. On 2 particular mis-haps I managed to lose my teeth. (I'm sure Aid Payne remembers the first incident - he caused it by allegedly sticking a twig in my spokes. Ron Pinfield is sure to remember the last incident, he allegedly pushed me off my bike, attempted to divert emergency ambulance and left me for dead, whilst he went in search of breakfast).
Perhaps I like cycling because I'm a health freak?! Absolutely not - when one considers my diet this becomes an obvious joke (food is fuel though, remember that). Maybe it's because I like to push myself above and beyond my limits, enduring suffering, pain and complex hallucinations (Sarah Jane can remember when I saw dinosaurs on one trip).
Truth is, I love cycling for a number of reasons. These reasons include the fact that cycling enables me to meditate, providing an 'outlet' if you like. Cycling allows me to witness the wonders of God's creation and utilise all the senses that He has blessed me with. For sure, I do like to push my limits too, and there's no need to convince anyone that I'm as MAD as a fish.

I'm hoping to put a lot of this MADness to good use and really Make A Difference. I am hoping to Make A Difference by raising monies for the Meal A Day fund and cycling like MAD for about 116 hours.

This summer, I will be 1 of 1,000 riders from 33 countries that will cycle over 1,400 kilometres from London to Edingburgh and back again in under 5 days! I will ride through some of the most beautiful scenery in Britain, relying on my own self-sufficiency, camaraderie, and the hospitality of hundreds to complete this epic cycling challenge.

Please help Make A Difference by donating to my MAD cause - the Meal A Day fund! The Christadelphian Meal-A-Day is a volunteer run charity working to provide clean water, food, agricultural development, basic education and basic healthcare in many less developed parts of the world.
You can sponsor me and this worthy cause by clicking onto this link, which will take you to my JustGiving website: http://www.justgiving.com/doorideslel

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2022

Happy New Year folks. I wonder what's in store for 2022,  - something crazy, something new? It's a shame Covid is still here and I&#...