Sunday 3 July 2016

Week 3. Tim Tom Taylor's time to think things through

Support Suicide Prevention
Doo something Completely MAD and support CMAD
Cancer doo one!
Don't be a dope, support SCOPE
I figured I would spend this week thinking things through ready for my Ironman event which is less than 3 weeks away now. Planned to train hard this week and then taper for the 2 weeks prior to event. Some folk were tapering already but I think I needed a little more volume and reckon I'd just pig out on junk food if I wasn't training.
Started the week with (most probably) my last lengthy intensive cycle. Decided to wear what I think I will wear come race day - Northwave shoes (Look cleats), cycle socks, 2XU calf sleeves, Skins 2 piece tri-suit, Rapha bib shorts and a Specialized cycling jersey (with Brooks arm warmers in the rear pocket) and of course a helmet and a pair of cycling gloves. Loaded the bike and jersey pockets with food which I'm sure to do race day too and off I sped. Filled 3 bottles on the bike - one with water, one with electrolytes and the other with energy source. I then thought little more and went out the door! My ride took me on a recce of the Isoman route. This was the route I started cycling last week and then bailed at the 40k mark because I punctured. Today there was no puncture menace and I missed all the rain too - bonus! I really felt on form and cycled this 95k route with an average speed of 29kph! I think I got my fuelling nailed - I would eat a jam sarnie out my rear pocket every 25k and graze on chocolate, cereal bars or whatever else frequently. After this cycle, I reset the Garmin and cycled for a couple of hours more. I headed for Bidford and returned home following a kinda random route. Again I felt good and cycled relatively fast. Off the bike and quick change into my running gear. Basically, I removed the cycling jersey, shorts, socks and shoes and added running shorts, socks, shoes and base layer. I might use a singlet instead of base layer come race day. My run was just under an hour and cross country style. What a great day this was. Once home, a friend enquired what my distances were going to be for the Isoman at the end of the week - ha, I informed that at most I would be spectating!

Tuesday started with a run into work (10k commute) and finished with a swim. In the evening I went OW swimming at Ragley. Only managed 3 laps (about 2,100m) but quite pleased with my training of late.


Rested Wednesday.

Further 10k run commute into work on Thursday. Thursday was also payday - I accidentally purchased a new cycling jersey. I figured a windproof jersey was needed for this event because I have been a little chilly with my regular cycling jerseys and figured a little water resistance might help too.

Friday started with a 1,980m pool based swim in the lovely Stratford pool. Later in the day, I took to my turbo trainer and span my legs for about an hour. Alt-J on the iPad provided my entertainment whilst spinning.

Ran a hilly route on Saturday. Covered just under 14k. Was a hot 100 minutes in nice warm weather. Was great to see a few Isoman cyclists whizz past too.

Completed my training week with a cycle commute to work and back. The weather was mighty fine, so I used my mighty fine Specialized Roubaix. The ride was great but work was pretty pants! Wore my new wind-proof jersey today and it's a winner - just hope I am too in a couple of weeks!


Pretty pleased with this weeks efforts. Ran and cycled just over my planned times. Didn't swim quite as long as I had hoped but, hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! No more time to think things through, now it's Tim Tom Taylor's time to taper!


Support Suicide Prevention

Doo something Completely MAD and support CMAD
Cancer doo one!
Don't be a dope, support SCOPE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2022

Happy New Year folks. I wonder what's in store for 2022,  - something crazy, something new? It's a shame Covid is still here and I&#...