Sunday 25 April 2010

Cannock Chase debased!

A rather leisurely week on the training front but had managed to use my bikes on few occasions with no knee pain to report. Took a trip to a sports physiotherapist who wanted £48 for a first appointment and £38 thereafter for further appointments. Felt I had rested my knee for a while (10 days with no training at all) and was in no current pain, so kept the phone no. and felt I would 'test' my knee by gently cycling and only contact said therapist if pain came back. Taken advice from my sister (and folk on the DA forum) too, and am now taking cod liver oil and glucosamine on a daily basis.
My first cycle was a short, mostly off road, trip with Ron. We followed familiar routes of ours but discovered new trails too. Knee was fine throughout, but came off once (no damage) and punctured towards the end. I enjoyed these new trials so much, figured I would repeat the route the following day but alas. my bike had punctured again. In view of this puncture menace, took out my road bike and cycled a variation of 'Ron's 1 hour loop'. The final cycle of the week was at Cannock Chase. Had originally planned to complete a 200k audax but in view of limited training and knee problems decided to give this a miss. Cannock, however, was awesome. Ron and I met up with Stu (at last!) and cycled the new purpose built trails, following the appropriately named 'Monkey Trail'. This Monkey trail is like an 'add on' to the 'Follow the Dog' trail and is considered to be more technically demanding and challenging. It had bigger climbs, fast technical descents and some optional 'black graded lines'. Only Ron would attempt these black graded lines (I question his mental health at times) which included riding along a slim up rooted tree elevated at some height with a big drop off at the end and a rocky, almost vertical descent. What I was doing, cycling a trail that was 'intended for experienced and technically competent' riders is also questionable!
Did not run or swim again this week and should really start that up again soon. I have my first (and most probably last) triathlon coming up soon and this will prove interesting with my limited training. I did, however, play badminton for possibly the first time ever. This was fun too. Went with 3 friends from work, namely Roxy, Zalika and Adrian. We played 3 games (doubles) changing partners each time. I won 1 and lost 2. Would like to play this again.

Weekly totals: Cycled 45 miles (4 hours and 43 mins); Played badminton for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2022

Happy New Year folks. I wonder what's in store for 2022,  - something crazy, something new? It's a shame Covid is still here and I&#...