Saturday 19 June 2010

L2P Day 4 Compiegne - Paris!

Another great day of cycling. Fast pretty roads to follow all the way to our first water stop. Fast pretty roads continued all the way to our lunch stop. We keep promising ourselves to slow the pace, but we were at the lunch stop by 10 a.m! This time however, they fed us!

The next leg was initially long quite roads which soon developed into menace busy roads, much like London. The long quiet roads were awesome as I was flying along (Craig had given me a Tesco energy pill and could certainly feel the effects). The roads near Paris were scarey and felt like I was dicing with death. Nigel was chanting 'we're all gonna die soon' which soon caught on and distarcted me from the fact that we really might get squished soon.

We cycled all the way to just before the Arc de Triomphe and stopped here. We stopped for beer. We also stopped because we planned to ride in convey with the whole group to the finish point. When we re-grouped we were awarded with special DA London to Paris T-shirts. I proudly wore my shirt and then cycled very slowly to the Arc de Triomphe and along the Champs Elysees. This felt awesome - I was cycling along those cobbled stones that the Tour de France guys cycle each year and that I watch on my TV. We continued to cycle all the way to the Eiffel Tower. Yay, awesome, job done and quite a pretty place to end. If truth be known, I had to cycle a further 5 miles to reach the hotel.
At the conclusion of this trip I feel pretty good. Am pleased with my efforts and happy I have completed a challenge considered moderate. I did not ache too much and did not have to wear 2 pairs of padded pants at any time. Aches, pains and niggles had been felt but were bearable. Nubutte cream and Sudocrem are highly recommended by myself and Ibuprofen gel works a treat.

So what next? Well, I plan to party hard tonight and enjoy a good celebration meal with those 76 other cyclists who did the challenge with me. Tomorrow I will take it easy and maybe do a wee bit of sight seeing and then on monday my next challenge awaits. My next challenge is considered tough and is a Paris to Geneva cycle!

Cycled a distance of 62.48 miles at an average speed of 14.3mph and a max speed of 37.7mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year 2022

Happy New Year folks. I wonder what's in store for 2022,  - something crazy, something new? It's a shame Covid is still here and I&#...